Urgent Air Bag Warning: List of Cars That Should Be Fixed
The air bags, especially in areas along the coast with high absolute humidity, have inflators that can rupture
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration urges owners of certain Toyota, Honda, Mazda, BMW, Nissan, and General Motors vehicles to act immediately on recall notices to replace defective Takata air bags.
Tuesday, Oct 21, 2014 • Updated at 8:03 AM PDT
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration issued an urgent plea <http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/national-international/Airbag-Recall-US-Honda-Toyota-Nissan-Mazda-GM-Ford-Chrysler-BMW-Mitsubishi-279794942.html> to more than 4.7 million car owners whose air bag inflators have been recalled to get them repaired. The air bags, especially in areas along the coast with high absolute humidity, have inflators that can rupture. If the air bags go off in a crash, that can send shrapnel into the passenger compartment and injure people.
Below is the list of models covered by recalls that date back to 2013. Some recalls are nationwide and some are limited to coastal areas:
- Total affected: 778,177.
- Models: 2002 to 2004 Lexus SC, 2003 to 2004 Toyota Corolla and Matrix, 2002 to 2004 Toyota Sequoia, 2003 to 2004 Pontiac Vibe made for General Motors by Toyota.
- Total affected: 2.8 million.
- Models: 2001 to 2007 Accord four cylinder, 2002 to 2002 Accord six-cylinder; 2001 to 2005 Honda Civic; 2002 to 2006 Honda CR-V; 2003 to 2011 Honda Element; 2002 to 2004 Honda Odyssey; 2003 to 2007 Honda Pilot; 2006 Honda Ridgeline; 2003 to 2006 Acura MDX; 2002 to 2003 Acura TL/CL.
- Total affected: 437,712.
- Models: 2001 to 2003 Nissan Maxima, 2001 to 2003 Nissan Pathfinder, 2002 to 2003 Nissan Sentra, 2001 to 2003 Infiniti I30/I35; 2002 to 2003 Infiniti QX4, 2003 Infiniti FX.
- Total affected: 18,050.
- Models: 2003 to 2004 Mazda6, 2004 Mazda RX-8.
- Total affected: 573,935.
- Models: 2000 to 2005 3 Series Sedan, 2000 to 2006 3 Series Coupe, 2000 to 2005 3 Series Sports Wagon, 2000 to 2006 3 Series Convertible, 2001 to 2006 M3 Coupe and Convertible.
- Total affected: 133,221.
- Models: 2002 to 2003 Buick LeSabre, 2002 to 2003 Buick Rendezvous, 2002 to 2003 Cadillac DeVille, 2002 to 2003 Chevrolet Trailblazer, 2002 to 2003 Chevrolet Impala, 2002 to 2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo, 2002 to 2003 Chevrolet Venture, 2002 to 2003 GMC Envoy and XL, 2002 to 2003 Oldsmobile Aurora, 2002 to 2003 Oldsmobile Bravada, 2002 to 2003 Oldsmobile Silhouette, 2002 to 2003 Pontiac Bonneville, 2002 to 2003 Pontiac Montana.
In addition, Ford conducted a "field service action" to fix 58,669 vehicles with Takata air bag inflators made during certain time periods. The vehicles have not been deemed defective, but Ford is repairing them anyway, it said in a statement. Covered models include some 2005 to 2007 Mustangs in Florida, Hawaii, Puerto Rico or the U.S. Virgin Islands equipped with driver air bags produced by Takata; some 2005 to 2006 Ford GT vehicles in the same areas with driver and/or passenger air bags made by Takata; and certain 2004 Ford Rangers in the same areas with Takata passenger air bags